Monday, November 4, 2013

Guest Blog: Kia Zi Shiru

Today I'm visiting with Kia Zi Shiru, the author of the Otherkin Spirits series. Actually, that's only the most recent of her books. She writes fantasy, YA and LGBT so you've probably seen her books around. I'm very excited to have her here today!

So, Kia...tell us one funny, goofy, dorky thing about you that people might not know.
I will sing/play back along to Japanese songs, even though I barely know any Japanese, plus if I’m in a weird enough mood I’ll even dance to it.

Do you have a set daily/weekly writing schedule?
It depends on how much time I’ve got to spend on university work or marketing, though it’s easier this month since it’s NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).

What inspires you to write a story (pictures, music, movies, etc.)?
Usually something simple like an image or scene in my head. I usually work more and more from that onward. Music and movies and other books can help, but most of the time I’ve already got a starting scene before I come up with the rest of the story.

What are some of your favorite things to do when you're not writing?
Reading and playing videogames. Though recently also playing with our kitten, he is so fun to hug.

Who, if anyone, has influenced your writing?
Hmm, for my writing style I’ve got to say that they are two M/M authors, Sean Michael and Daisy Harris. If I read one of their books I can see what parts of my style mirrors theirs. Though for my earlier writing it has been Tom Lennon (gay Irish author) and Edward van de Vendel (a Dutch author who wrote the first gay book I ever read). They largely influenced my choice of genre and choice of themes within my books.


I love pizza with (fill in the blank).
I love pizza with chorizo, jalapeno peppers and salami. Yes, I like my pizza hot, with extra cheese.

What's your favorite dessert?
Strawberry jelly pudding. I can eat a whole bowl of it on my own if I get the chance...

What's your favorite season?
Autumn. It might be very cliché, but I love the colour of the changing leaves. And it has a very special smell that I really really love.

Do you have a favorite sport?
eSports are more my thing. I love videogames and I’m not one to watch people tire themselves out in the field or some hall.

Paperback, hardback or ebook?
Ebook. I read mostly gay fiction and those are hard to get around here in paperback or hardback. Ebooks have been my saviour when it comes to my reading habbits.

What's your favorite "drug" of choice? (soda, coffee, chocolate, cigarettes, marshmallow peeps, etc.)
Ehhh... I’m going to have to admit to salty twists. They are pieces of baked puff paste that are extra salty. I eat a whole bag of them easily within the hour. That and prawn crackers.
I usually get those two when I feel like gorging on something “bad”. The one has too much salt and the other too much salt and fat.

What can readers expect from you in 2014?
More books, more joy, more pain. At least book 3 and 4 of Otherkin Spirits and maybe a few more things. Book 3 of Otherkin Spirits will take place during the summer on an island. I’m working on it at the moment.

Anything else you want people to know?
I’ve recently moved from the publisher website to a new wesbite at www.kiazishiru.com It is still under construction but you can find some things about Otherkin Spirits 3 Tranquil Destiny there. Also, there will be a celebration for the upcoming 1 year anniversary of the publication of the Black Sheep Trilogy. So keep your eyes open for that.


For those of you not in the know, Kia's most recent book in the Otherkin Spirits series is:

Get your copy today!
 Kobo

Blurb:

A werewolf and a vampire, forbidden love. What could go wrong?

CHRIS, a werewolf on the run from his abusive clan, hides in a vampire house. ALEC, a vampire who has comfortably lived in the house for years, has no intentions to ever leave it.

Their connection is obvious from the first time they meet. But the house rules are strict, werewolves and vampires can not date. Unable to fight their attraction and unwilling to leave, they instead choose to hide their love.

Then Chris’ old clan finds him and takes him back. Will Alec ever see Chris again?






Kia Zi Shiru is a Dutch girl who did her bachelor studying English and Creative Writing in the UK but has now returned to the Netherlands to do her masters. Amongst her interests she finds writing, reading, doing research and learning different languages (including but not limited to: English, Dutch, French, German, HTML, Java, PHP and Assembly). Her writing and reading habits include books with Young Adults, gay themes, strong female or minority characters and fantasy elements (more often than not all at the same time).



Newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/vvShb








No comments:

Post a Comment