Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Our Rainbow Needs More Stripes! #LGBT


Did you know there's an invisible asterisk at the end of LGBT?

Not much of a shock, right? I think we all realize there's more to our rainbow family than just gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender. It reminds me of that advertisement "My bologna has a first name..." except in this case it's "My rainbow has a first name. It's LGBT." So what's the rest?

It goes like this: LGBTTIQQ2SA. Yeah, that's why it always gets shortened to LGBT. There are even more letters hidden in this extended version because A and T represent a spectrum of different people but in order to show that we'd have to go 3-D and while it would make a cool t-shirt, it wouldn't fit so well in a news headline.

For the sake of those just climbing out of their caves and confronting equality for the first time, it's better to keep it simple. There are days I think even LGBT is too complicated. However, for those of us who already have a grip on those four letters let's spell out the rest.

L - Lesbian

G - Gay

B - Bisexual (Not code for part-time gay)

T - Transgender

T - Transexual (Not just another word for transgender)

I - Intersex

Q - Queer (Not just another word for gay)

Q - Questioning

2S - Two Spirit (applies most often to those in the First Nation or "Native American" culture.)

A - Asexual. 

In some organizations the "A" stands for allies but while we love our straight allies, not everyone thinks they need a spot within the rainbow.

LGBTTIQQ2SA will probably grow as time goes on. It's already missing a "P" for Pansexual since Pan- and Bi- are not the same thing. At some point I expect it to outgrow the acronym and become a fancy, swirly little symbol. Hey, if Prince can do it so can we.






Sometimes the problem
is the answer.





4 comments:

  1. I saw the term QUILTBAG last year and thought it was catchy (Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender/Transsexual, Bisexual, Allied/Asexual, Gay/Genderqueer) but it's also missing a P for pansexual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that, too, Aidee...though it took me a while to figure out what it was. ;p It's a very cute, creative idea.

      I'm curious to see what the next generation comes up with. Pink triangle has given way to the rainbow, which will give way to...? I think QUILTBAG would be a great option.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I do, too! It's creative and also fits the group. Thanks for the comment. =)

      Delete