Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Successful Blogging - Where is your focus? #writing



I read an interesting article the other day about successful blogging. You can read the complete post here, but I wanted to focus on one of the author's points. He advised that unless you are a celebrity, it is a mistake to write a blog post about yourself.


"...readers don’t care about you. Not really. They care about themselves."
Michael Hyatt


Personally, I've seen plenty of author blogs talking about what that person is doing with their day, stories they're working on, legal spats with publishers, etc. Assuming author blog posts are aimed mainly at readers, do you think this rule applies to us?

As writers, we market ourselves as much as we do our books and I know plenty of best-selling authors who talk about their pets, their daily schedule, issues with chronic illness, and family milestones. I also know plenty who don't, preferring to keep their posts focused on their books. I'm a private person so, over sharing is not my issue. However, I've always assumed readers appreciate the candor of those who invite people to tour the rooms of their life through blog posts and Facebook updates. What do you think?

Do you prefer to read posts about reviews, new releases, progress on books, and the occasional puppy picture or do you prefer glimpses of the person behind the pseudonym?








Book 4 in the Saving Liam Series
Available for pre-order December 26th






2 comments:

  1. I think if you're excited to talk about something, it comes through loud and clear. It makes whatever you say that much more enjoyable to read about. Writing books is hard enough. Your blog should be whatever you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. Just like with books, passion for the topic in your blog makes all the difference. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete